If you are like me – you wake up in the morning, get ready for work, glance at your fully stocked pantry and mope that there is nothing to take with you as food for the day; especially nothing that is particularly filling or healthy.
We sometimes underestimate the importance of food and what the right food can do for the body. In an article from Self, Brittany Kohn, M.S., R.D. says that “Having healthy snacks for work on-hand at the office is key for staying fueled and focused when you need it most. Whether you’re in the middle of a big project or you’re chained to your desk with a looming deadline, they’ll help keep your energy up and your blood sugar stable during an afternoon slump.”
There are many days that we push off eating due to stress and deadlines, however, we need the fuel that food gives us to keep powering through the day and helps to curb our appetite until we get home. Of course with busy schedules, it’s important to have healthy and sustainable food options when you are on the go.
So here are 24 on-the-go minimally processed foods that are high in fiber, protein, and healthy fats to provide you energy throughout the day and stop you from reaching for the foods that are simply right in front of you:
- Seeds. Whether you prefer pumpkin, hemp, chia, or sunflower seeds, seeds are a terrific source of protein that makes an excellent topping for yogurts, oatmeal, or toast.
- Wasabi Peas. If you are constantly looking for a crunch and love spicy food, there is truly nothing better than wasabi peas. In addition to being delicious, they are nutritious and filled with fiber, making them a perfect snack for the office.
- Granola. If you don’t love topping your foods with seeds, low-sugar granola is another topping that you could use. It’s especially great for the afternoon munchies with it’s superb crunch!
- Health Bars. Filled with protein and fiber, these are a quick and convenient grab and go option on a busy morning. Try out all of our different flavour high-protein bars to support your busy schedule!
- Trail Mix. A perfect combination of foods rich in fiber, fats, and protein makes for a power filled snack making you feel fuller for longer.
Pro Tip: Don’t fill up on the chocolate pieces and use dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate for nutritional value.
- Oatmeal. Easy to keep stored and a fantastic treat for a hearty snack.
- Raw Nuts. With a good mix of protein and fat, nuts are the perfect choice to keep on your desk for a quick munch. You can add it to your yogurt or oatmeal or eat on its own, nuts are a wonderful addition to your office desk.
- Peanut or Nut Butter. If raw nuts are not for you, try natural peanut butter as an alternative. Whether plain, with apples, or on crackers – peanut butter is a terrific and filling snack.
- Pita Chips. Want to eat some healthy and tasty dips? Well, pita chips may just be the best way to do so! Keep them stocked at your desk for an easy go-to snack!
- Rice Cakes. Similar to pita chips but a different taste and crunch, rice cakes are another way to optimize the flavours of your favourite dips.
- Crackers. In specific, whole grain crackers, add to foods to eat with dips. You can try something different every day for variety!
- Cut Up Vegetables. If you want to get even healthier, cut up some veggies. Cut up veggies are a perfect way to get some nutritious value into your day while also enjoying your favorite dips.
- Dried Fruit. With its sweetness, healthy fat, and fiber, dried fruit is a tasty and filling food to tide you over midday.
- Fruit Leather. Sweet, chewy, and packed with natural fiber from the fruit it’s made with. Fruit Leather is a great food to keep stored in your office for those long and stressful days.
- Applesauce. Filled with fiber and healthy carbs, applesauce is a superb food to keep you satiated throughout your day. It also comes in small packets or cups so it’s easy to bring.
- Apples and Pears. If applesauce is not for you, maybe regular fruit is. These fruits are filled with nutrition and don’t go bad so quickly making it an exceptional snack to keep around your office.
- Dark Chocolate. An excellent source of magnesium, dark chocolate is a natural stress reliever. What could be better than that for a long and stressful day at the office?
- Popcorn. This airy snack will keep you satisfied all day long while getting ample amount of fiber from this whole grain snack.
- Smoothies. Sometimes, all you want is something sweet to drink that will be easy and quick. Nutribar’s vanilla and chocolate smoothies make a delectable and convenient grab-and-go option that will keep you full for up to 5 hours during your long day.
- Yogurt. With yogurt containing 9 grams of protein in a 6-ounce serving, a fair amount of calcium, vitamin B12, potassium, and magnesium, yogurt makes a delicious and nutritious snack during your day. Feel free to top it off with seeds, granola, or nuts for a little more nutrition and a crunch.
- Veggie-Packed Muffins. Looking for a way to add some veggies to your day but don’t want to eat them raw? Cooked veggie muffins can stay good for up to a week as long as you keep them in an airtight container. Make a big batch and bring them into your office daily!
- Jerky. High in lean protein and low in fillers, preservatives, and other artificial additives, jerky is an exceptional food for your workday.
- String Cheese. Cheese may get a bad rep for having high caloric and fat content but in reality, it’s an excellent source of vitamin D, calcium, and protein.
- Tuna. Small and easy to pack, tuna cans are filled with protein and healthy omega 3s and are sure to keep you full for a while during your long day.
Pro Tip: Get the cans that are water based for their greater health benefits and easy use.
Now that you have some options listed, we hope that the next time you go to your fridge or pantry to decide what to bring to work, you can do so with ease. If you have any other food suggestions that you love to bring to work – let us know in the comment section below!